Saturday, June 26, 2010

TURNING 2


To my sweet little Olivia Grace -

Today you turn two, and I simply cannot believe it. Two! You are two years old, where oh where has the time gone little girl?

This year has been a very busy one for you. You have learned so much - like how to push chairs up to counter tops, climb on up and get into the cabinets. Most often I find you getting into the treat cabinet, with your face covered in some sort of chocolate, with a look of "what did I do Mom?" on your face. I have to say, you are one smart little girl. But sometimes you decided to mix it up a bit and you go for the cabinet that is full of Momma's wine glasses. This last time I found you standing next to the chair you had climbed on drinking water out of one of my fanciest glasses, happy as could be. The things you achieve all on your own at such a young age really baffle me little girl.

You have learned how to apply Mommy's lotion to your body in impossibly large amounts. I have found you numerous times on the floor of my bathroom after I have taken a shower with lotion all over your legs, arms, pajamas, and lathered in to your hair. What a mess!!

You have discovered where the arts and crafts drawer is and have found its contents to be oh so fun to dump all over the floor. After dumping it all, you seem to enjoy creating some sort of art project - but not on paper - oh no. You enjoy making an art project on yourself by coloring up and down your legs, arms and belly with markers. Oh, do you ever enjoy that. I have found you on numerous occasions sitting on the floor coloring away on one of your limbs without a care in the world. I have to admit, at times I have found you so enjoying yourself I have left you to make a colorful mess out of yourself. Heck, it is only crayola markers, right?

You have learned the oh so wonderful art of throwing tantrums with the thought that this will make it possible for you to get your way. I think we are almost at the point where you are realizing these tantrums just land you in a time out. Where after a few minutes I always find you at my heels ready for a big hug and kiss. Which I have to say is the best apology I could ever receive.

You have also learned how to hit when you are angry or frustrated. One of the many perks of having older siblings - you learn from them - the good, the bad, and the ugly. When you hit Momma or one of your siblings all I have to say is "no, no, you be gentle!" and you immediately turn to whomever you hit and gently stroke their face saying "genta, genta..." You can be so darn sweet.

So as you can see, you have been one busy little girl this year Olivia Grace. Learning new things, exploring and becoming your own little person.

But beyond all the crazy things you seem to get in to that keep your Mama on your toes, you really are a sweet, sensitive, and loving little girl.

You are always showing your brothers and sisters how much you love them by giving them hugs and kisses for no reason.


You lay for what seems like forever on the your favorite Dora chair [that turns in to a bed], watching Dora the Explorer [your favorite show ever].

If we have to go anywhere you immediately call out for Nuky and gay - kee. [Nuk and Blanket] Your two most coveted items on this planet. We never leave home without them.

When you are upset or tired, that nuk goes right in your mouth and that blanket is found snuggled up right to your sweet baby face. Your source of comfort.

At night before you go to sleep you sweetly pat the pillow right next to yours and say "Momma Pray." I lay, you put your hands together, and we say our goodnight prayer - now I lay me down to sleep.

You have brought your Daddy and I so much love and joy this past year, and we are so excited to see what this next year brings. I am certain you will still be as busy as ever, getting in to things and keeping me on my toes. And that is just fine. I love you so darn much it really does not matter what you do.

Happy, happy birthday my Olivia Grace Shelton. I love you to the moon my little 2 year old.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Wow, 2 years old already!!!! Hope she had a wonderful birthday:)
Kari