Thursday, March 31, 2011

NOT DIGGIN' PEAS



So, how obvious is it that my Nathan detests peas? Seriously, you would have thought I had tried feeding him prunes or some other incredibly disgusting baby food. I do wish the Mr. would have recorded a bit longer, as you really would have laughed at how quickly the temper tantrum stopped when I moved the spoon away and offered him an ever coveted mum-mum [his favorite snack in the world.] It literally stopped right when he saw that mum-mum. And just to be sure that is indeed what stopped that tantrum in its tracks, I took the mum-mum away and offered the spoon of peas once again. Can you guess what happened? He screamed, cried and kicked away, letting me know he wanted nothing to do with those dang peas. Again, I took the peas away, and guess what? Once his eyes caught the departure of that spoon full of peas and the arrival of that mum-mum, it stopped immediately.

So I think it is safe to say that my baby boy does not like peas. At all. Which really would not be a problem if he liked other vegetables, but that is so not the case. When I fed him carrots? He gagged with every spoonful I put in his mouth, and followed up the gagging with a look on his face that said "what the heck is this crap, Mom??" I have tried green beans, with the same result. Gagging and all. Now sweet potatoes he seems to be able to tolerate, and for that, I am one happy Mama.

This eating thing has really been an uphill battle with him since he turned 6 months old. First he wouldn't eat anything, not even the good stuff, like bananas, pears, applesauce, and peaches. Weird, right? Then he seemed to get used to that goodness. Now all this trouble with the vegetables, will it ever get easier?

I guess I need to just look the bright side - he may scream bloody murder when fed peas, and gag when fed carrots and green beans, but at least he enjoys his mum-mums, fruits, and the occasional sweet potatoes.

2 comments:

Dominique said...

OH that poor baby! ;0)

Anonymous said...

superb film ...funny!