Thursday, November 13, 2008

Worry is my middle name


You are probably wondering why in the heck I posted a picture of a carbon monoxide detector. Well, let me tell you... We had a guy come over this morning to do some duct work in the basement for us, as he was finishing up, he asked me to come down to the basement so he could show me something that needed fixing. He brought me to the back utility room and showed me a large pipe or duct or something of the sort without a cover over the bottom of it. (bear with me here, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of stuff.) He proceeded to tell me that this was very dangerous as it was most likely causing carbon monoxide to enter into our house. He told me it was very important that Brian get to the store and buy a "5 inch end cap" and get it closed up. Needless to say, after hearing all this, panic ensued.....
I hate to admit this, but I am a self professed hypocondriac. Tell me the symptoms of some disease, ailment, etc and the next day I will have it - guaranteed. So you can only imagine my reaction to hearing this... After the "duct guy" left, I hopped on my laptop and looked up the
symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (which my ever patient doctor told me to never do), and realized I had been exhibiting some of the tell tale signs of carbon monoxide poisoning (of course.) I immediately grabbed the kids, packed them in the car and left the house. Not sure where to go, I drove a few blocks down the road to the Pizza Hut parking lot, all the while calling Brian on his cell and getting no answer. After I grabbed a parking spot I started calling everyone in my family to relay my state of panic to them - my mom was not answering, my sister was not answering, no one was answering!! I finally got through to my wonderful step dad who talked me down off of the "ledge" I was on after convincing myself I was dying of carbon monoxide poisoning. As I finished my phone call with him, Brian finally called back, I relayed the story to him, tears and all - he sighed, told me I was not dying, and that he would be home within the hour to figure it all out.
This whole time my Anthony Thomas and Olivia Grace were sitting patiently in the back seat - my poor kids... at least they are not quite old enough to know just how crazy their mommy is!! After I got myself together, I left the Pizza Hut parking lot and drove aimlessly around waiting to get the "O.K" to go back into my house. Brian phoned soon after and told me he successfully plugged in the Carbon Monoxide detector he just purchased (I was convinced the one we already had at home was not working correctly) and that there was no trace of any in our house - phew. He was then given the O.K. by me to run back off to the work that I interrupted with my state of emergency. Gosh I love him.... always there when I need him, even in my irrational, crazed states... My husband, my knight in shining armor.

No comments: