Tuesday, November 3, 2009

ONE HECK OF A MONTH

What a crazy whirlwind month I have had. Crazy, crazy, crazy. Yes, I had to say that 3 times over again to get the full affect, as it really has been that crazy.

Shall we have a little bit of a "month in review" on this here blog? Sure, why not.

I started out the month by coming down with some nasty virus that kicked my butt, literally. Along with the sore throat, stuffy head, cough, I had a stomach thing going on too. I had it all, and let me tell you, it was NOT pleasant. Fortunately, as bad as this was, it did not confine me to my bed. This "yuck" stuck around for a week and then subsided-Over the weekend I was feeling great, getting back to myself.

Then Monday came.

I sent the kids off to school for the day and received a feverish child back at the end of the day. Yes, just as I was feeling better Miss Ava came home from school with a raging fever, sore throat, cough, etc. On Tuesday afternoon I began to get a sore throat and congested. Darn it, my "yuck" was coming back to haunt me.

So Miss Ava and I spent the whole week on the couch, watching movies, eating soup, trying to get over this crud, but it just would not go away. It was so bad, she was home from school all week. I should mention that during this particular week Olivia woke up with a runny nose and a cough - turns out she got sick as well. Also, on Thursday of that week Lucas came home from school running a fever, so he ended up staying home the remainder of the week with Ava and I, miserable, with our butts planted on the couch.

So by the end of this week I had three sick kids, and one sick Mom. I was ready for this all to be over, and now. I decided a trip to the Dr. was in order for both Ava and myself. Turns out it was a good idea that we went - Ava had a horrible virus, along with an ear infection. And me? I had bronchitis, which was days away from turning into walking pneumonia. What luck.

We made our way to the pharmacy and picked up our much needed drugs to make ourselves better, marched on back home and planted our butts back on the couch. We spent the weekend there, slowly getting better, with me unfortunately making numerous bathroom breaks due to this wonderful antibiotic I was put on to rid myself of bronchitis. 2 different viruses, over a 2 week period that blessed me with the extra lovely symptom of "stomach issues". What more could go wrong?

Finally, everyone was healthy - well, everyone but me. Turns out my "stomach issues" decided to stick around. All month I have been dealing with a growly, upset, angry, pissed off, unpredicitable digestive system. So much so that I had to make a trip to the Dr. in desperate need of some answers as to why my digestive system was revolting so.

His answer? "your colon is most likely all out of whack from that virus you had, from the side affects of those antibiotics, and from your change in diet. Start taking Metamucil twice daily for a month to see if that helps. If not, then we will schedule a colonoscopy." Oh, did I mention that I changed my diet drastically? Cut out all fast food, a lot of caffeine, most red meat, etc. Also, did I mention I actually told the Dr. I thought I needed a colonoscopy as I feared I had colon cancer? And again, out comes my hypochondria.

I agreed to try out his Metamucil idea, and if that did not solve my "issues" I would be back for that colonoscopy. So I started on the Metamucil and noticed another not so pleasant change. A change that I decided was worthy of throwing out this whole Metamucil thing and going straight to the colonoscopy.

The colonoscopy was ordered by my Dr. per my request, and I started my low fiber diet on Friday and Saturday, did my liquid diet on Sunday along with my gatorade cleanse solution that evening, and spent the whole night on the toliet, cleansing. As if this was not miserable enough, Olivia woke up in the middle of the night screaming out in pain. She screamed and screamed for over an hour, the Mr. tried to soothe her pain, as did inbetween bathroom breaks. Finally she stopped and fell asleep, only to wake up again screaming in pain. This went on all night, along with my bathroom breaks.

As you can imagine, I was dog tired the morning of my colonoscopy. I finished my cleansing, and made a call into the pediatrician to set up an appointment to see what was wrong with my Olivia Grace.

I went in to the hospital for my procedure, got nice and drugged up to calm my nerves, and had a camera stuck up my rear end. Turns out my colon was as healthy as ever, nothing wrong there. This Dr. seemed to think the same thing as my other Dr. - that my colon is out of whack because of that virus, antibiotic, change in diet, and that it should correct itself on its own over time.

The Mr. and I celebrated my healthy colon by going out to lunch, which was well received by me seeing I had not eaten in almost 2 days. We then made our way home to spend the rest of the day with the kids and relax. We got the kids in bed early, along with ourselves and fell fast asleep.

10:30 rolled around and Olivia woke up again, screaming. I got up and tried to comfort her, nothing. Brian took over and tried to comfort her, nothing. She screamed and screamed, until 11:45 when she finally calmed down. Thankfully tomorrow we will be going to the Dr. to find out what exactly is wrong with my little peanut.

Oh, and did I mention that in the midst of all of this I had a birthday? Yes, on Halloween I turned 33. Happy Birthday to me, right?

So, this has been my month. One very long, very unhealthy month. I am hoping and praying that this is all over with now and that we will all be healthy and happy for the winter. God knows we deserve it.

2 comments:

Pajama Mama said...

Oh my goodness! You poor thing! You have really been through the ringer! I wondered why it had been a few days since you posted last, now I know why. Thankfully, you are feeling a bit better now. Let us know what's going on after Oliva's dr. appointment.

What a rough time you've had and on your birthday, too! That stinks. Happy belated birthday anyway.

Maria said...

Oh my goodness is right! It has been so darn crazy around here lately, my head is spinning. :) I am hoping everything will be alright with Olivia, and that everyone can finally be healthy in this house! Lord knows we have had enough of all of this.