Tuesday, August 31, 2010

CUTIE PATOOTOIE

This past week has been pretty rough around the Shelton house. We have had the incredible misfortune of coming down with a nasty bug that has slowly been passing from one child to the next.

What kind of bug you ask? One that causes high fevers, achy bodies, no desire to eat or drink much of anything, and a need to sleep all the time. Not fun; not fun at all.

We have spent the week watching movies, sleeping, playing games on the Ipad like it is nobody's business, playing out "violent fights" with Nerf guns, eating freezies, watching more movies, sleeping some more, creating forts with the pillows and blankets from all the couches, and generally making a massive mess of the house.

I think it is safe to say that the kids, not to mention little old me, are getting extremely tired of doing all of the above. They just want to get outside and run around with the neighbors, hit up the local parks, swim in the neighbors pool... really anything that does not involve being in the house would be heaven sent.

Because of how the past 7 days have played out, getting out of bed this morning was a little less than desirable. All I had to look forward to was another day in the house with 5 kids. 4 of them bugging each other, causing fights, and bouncing off the walls begging to get out of this Godforsaken house. But I dragged my butt out of bed after hearing all the kids running crazy downstairs watching cartoons, came down, got the monkeys fed, headed back up to talk to the Mr. for a bit, then headed back down to make my coffee. [My morning routine.]

As I walked into the kitchen I heard Ava giggling hysterically and looked to find Liv running around in circles saying "No!! No!! Noooooooo!!!" As I made my way to the family room to see what was going on I noticed different colored squares all over the back of Olivia's pajama shirt and a few on her legs [she had long since ditched her pants.] Wondering what these colorful squares were, I moved closer and closer until I realized that they were stickers. For some reason, my 7 year old thought it incredibly hysterical to chase her 2 year old sister around the family room sticking bunches of tiny stickers all over her back. Go figure.

"What is going on Ava?"

Barely able to get an audible sentence out in between her giggles: " I am putting stickers all over Olivia."

"Why?"

"Because it is fun. And I am bored."

"Try doing something that does not make your sister mad."

"I am sick of doing everything inside."

I bit my tongue as I walked away saying under my breath, "I hear ya."

This is when I realized we seriously needed some time out of the house.

So this afternoon, I decided to heck with it. We were going to actually get out of our pajamas, and get outside to play for a bit.

This plan was successful. The kids ran around in the front yard happy as could be. As Miss Liv was doing her seventh or eighth lap around the tree, I noticed her little butt cheek was hanging out one side of her diaper.

This was nothing new, as I often find her plagued by a "diaper snuggy" being she does not like to keep her clothes on. What kept me staring and laughing was this:

Seems one of those stickers her sister was determined to place all over the back of her shirt found its way right to her little butt cheek.

Neither the snuggy nor the sticker seemed to faze her - I think she was just so happy to be outside to care.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh this is SO funny and cute. I can't stop giggling over that sticker.