Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A PERFECT LITTLE PLACE

My sweet little Nathan has decided to change his ways, and now spends a good part of the day time hours awake - all bright eyed and bushy tailed. Gone are the days of waking up here and there to eat, poop, or look around a moment or two before falling back to sleep.

I can no longer take a shower whenever I want, get ready whenever I want, go to the bathroom whenever I want, run out to grab the mail, talk on the phone, etc. without my little bug wanting to be held, wanting a boob, or just wanting to cry and be cranky for a bit.

And I am fine with all this; but as if every other baby I have had, it always takes some adjusting.

I have learned to use my ergo baby carrier around dinner time when he is fussy so that I am able to get the other four little mouths in the house fed. I have learned to hop in the shower to quickly clean up the first moment I am able to get him sleeping soundly. I have learned to wait until Daddy is home in the evening to make any sort of important phone calls so that I am not interrupted 5 minutes into the conversation. I have learned to take him to the bathroom with me and sit him on my lap [not the easiest thing to do], or just listen to him scream while I try and go by myself [which is far from a peaceful experience].

And if he throws me for a loop and gets up at an inopportune time, or if I just have to get something done right now, I give him the boob. The boob always works. It calms him down in no time flat and makes him happy so that I am able to get whatever it is I want to get done, done.

Rarely do I find myself in a position where I cannot figure out a way to accomplish something with my little bug in tow. But the past few days I found myself in a bit of a pickle when it came to getting ready for the day. I managed to get him down for his nap, get in the shower, get out of the shower, and then the minute I began to actually get ready, he woke up. How do you get dressed, blow dry your hair, and put on your make - up with a baby in your arms or on your boob? Just not possible - I am good, but not that good.

I struggled through the past few days, listening to him scream bloody murder while I scrambled around getting ready. But I knew I had to come up with a solution, as for me, there is nothing worse than having to listen to my baby scream and cry. And today I came up with that solution.

Take a look.

I cushion my sink with my towel, then wrap him in his blanket and snuggle him right up in that sink. He loves it. He is happy all snug and warm hanging out with Mommy, and I am happy being able to take my time getting ready in peace.

It's a win, win situation. Perfection.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Maria...just happen to skip over your blog...looks like you keep yourself busy! Congrats on the new guy!