Monday, November 8, 2010

R.I.P NUKY'S


I decided today was the day to rid ourselves of Liv's nuk habit. Not sure why, I just woke up this morning and felt like I could tackle this miserable task.

Seriously, the girl has one in her mouth and one in her hand - or at least in a place where she can get to it- at all times. When she is sad she asks for Nuky, when she is tired she asks for Nuky, when she is watching Dora or Diego she asks for Nuky, when we are driving someplace she asks for Nuky, at bedtime she asks for Nuky.

You get it, she liked her nuky. I think she is actually an addict - her nuky is her very best friend. But she is 2 now, and she needs to kick the habit.

So this morning I spent quite some time searching around the house for every single nuky I could find. Under the beds, in the beds, under the couches, in the couches, in the playroom, in the toy box, in the toy bins, in the car, in my purse.... I looked everywhere, and it paid off as I came up with quite a few of the tiny little treasures.

Then I took out the scissors, and with a very heavy heart, cut off the tips of each and every one of them.

Soon after, Liv came looking for her nuky and I gave it to her. Right off the bat she knew something wasn't right, took it out of her mouth, began inspecting it and continued to do so for quite some time.

"Mommy, nuky is broken. It's broken, look!"

"That's alright, you don't need a nuky anymore. You are a big girl!"

"Oh. I'm a big girl."

Insert long pause....

"Moooommmyyyy!! My Nuuuuky's are broken!"

I consoled her for quite some time as she cried due to the fact that every single nuky I gave her was "broken." I must admit, my heart broke a little being that I was the one that caused the damage.

Throughout the day she came to me in search of her nuky, and each time, as much as I hated doing it, I give her a "broken" one. She wined a bit, I felt like crying, she went back to playing, I went back to whatever it was I was doing.

I am wondering how long this whole process will take. A day? A week? Here's to hoping it will be over sooner than later as it is turning out to be quite difficult for the both of us.

Tough love stinks, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photography is astounding... how you catch her pouting, quite a feat! Enjoying your blogs very much.

KB said...

That is the worst task of all! We are limited to sleeping with the binky.