Thursday, January 27, 2011

STILL NOT INTERESTED. AT ALL.

A while back, I posted about how Nathan was completely uninterested in trying the whole solid food thing. I would link to that post, but frankly I am just too lazy to go about that....

Anyway, I didn't really sweat the fact that he was not interested in this thing we call actual food, being that he was only 4 months, and he really didn't need anything other than formula until he was 6 months old. So I packed away all the peas, sweet potatoes, apple sauce, rice cereal and the like and left this whole trying out solids thing alone.

That is until today, when I realized holy-crap-my-baby-is-about-to-turn-6-months-old-and-I-need-to-try-and-start-solids-now. Crap.

Memories of last my attempts to do so a few months ago came flooding back. The screaming, the arm flailing, the hitting of the spoon with said arm and flinging peas all over the kitchen walls - all of it. But I decided to push this whole experience to the back of my mind, and stay positive about this go around.

I put a big old smile on my face as I strapped him into his highchair, and oohed and aaahed over the ever so delicious rice cereal I was stirring up in the bowl in front of him. He seemed happy as I put the bib on him, but that ended quite abruptly once I placed a spoonful of that rice cereal in his little mouth. And do I ever mean abruptly. His sweet smiley face went from happy and content to not so happy, and not so content. It was if he was saying "what the hell are you trying to feed me lady?"

After I calmed him down from the traumatic experience of tasting rice cereal, I decided I would give sweet potatoes a shot. 'Cause who wouldn't like sweet potatoes?

My Nathan, that's who.

I have honestly never seen him this angry before. Frankly, he was beyond angry. He was pissed.

After a few minutes of trying to make him happy and convince him that sweet potatoes were very yummy, I gave up. I am sure you can imagine how well that went over - attempting to convince a 6 month old baby that the food you are spooning in his mouth really is good? Yah, right.

So I cleaned him up and gave him his ever coveted bottle of formula. And what do you know? He wasn't angry anymore, actually he was quite the opposite, he was as happy as ever.

What he doesn't realize is that at some point he is going to have to give in to this whole eating solid foods thing. And I am hoping this realization comes to him sooner, rather than later.

Little stinker.

1 comment:

KB said...

His bib says it all!!! :-)