Tuesday, October 5, 2010

GRANDPARENTS


I love Tuesdays. Tuesdays are the one glorious day of the week that I have to myself - well almost to myself. My little Nathan bug is going to be permanently attached to me until he is 5 months old due to me being his one and only source of nourishment until that date. But one 2 month old monkey is nothing to me considering I am most often strapped down with 5 of 'em....

Anyway, the one and only reason I am able to get this day "off"? Why that would be Grandma Diane and Papa Ron. These two wonderful beings decided long ago when we first had Ava, that they wanted to have a grandparents day of sorts. One day each week that was set aside for them to spend time with their grandchildren. They asked the Mr. and I what we thought of this, and for obvious reasons, we thought it was nothing short of a fabulous idea and were more than happy with this decision of theirs.

So this is how my day off came to be. I loved them when they started 7 years ago, and I have to say I love them even more now [5 kids later] for many reasons.

On these terrific Tuesdays I get some much needed time alone to grocery shop, run to Target,and take care of Dr. appointments that I otherwise would not be able to with kids in tow. I can take a nap, or lay on the couch and [heaven forbid] actually watch a show on Tivo from start to finish - uninterrupted. I can have lunch with the Mr. at a restaurant in peace, I can go out to the Mall and do some window shopping. I can pretty much do whatever I want, and frankly, it is nothing short of pure bliss.

Enough about me and how I reap the benefits of this fabulous day, let's talk about the kids. The benefits that have come from them spending this time with their grandparents has been immeasurable. They have spent many days at Grandma and Papa's over the past 7 years playing lego's and building forts with grandpa, baking cookies, and reading books with grandma, going for walks, and even having sleepovers.

They get to do things over there that I [mean old Mom] won't let them do all that often at our house. 'Cause to tell you the truth, it is too messy, I don't have the time, or it is just a big old pain in the butt to undertake. Things like playing play-doh, finger painting, coloring with markers [Miss Liv colors all over her body so I have banned them from my house], carving pumpkins, and baking cakes, cookies, brownies and other goodies. The list goes on and on.

Just yesterday I received an email from Grandma Diane letting the kids know what fun was in store for them this Tuesday.

The Shelton Day Care will be open Tuesday, October 4th for business.

Anthony...As the oldest , wondering if you could help me bring up the Halloween decor and decorate the house in this decor. There is a new workbook purchased for you that we will work on each week. A new challenging 48 piece Toy Story awaits you, as well as an art project. Your cooking skills will be used in the making of ants on a log( the girls will help) and the making of Halloween cookies. Your green blanket is here.

Lucia and Olivia....Papa went to a garage sale recently and bought for you something quite special. A Little Tykes dollhouse with all the furniture to go with it. Grandma has washed all the pieces, I think you will enjoy this a lot. Like new. And also 4 wooden puzzlesfor you, and an art project. Should be a fun day.

Laura...Grandma has bought for you a lot of baby food so mom no longer has to bring any, even some"puffs"...

Upcoming Events...On October 12th we plan on carving pumpkins, or at least paint them.Wondering if the kids should bring their own....is that a possibility? I think they would feel special if they brought in their own. We will also be working on 3 big totes in the basement, putting our big toys in them, and cleaning out the basement.

Give-aways...Anyone want the punching inflatable hockey player.? have that to donate or give away.

Ava, Lucas...Ava, I have the Judy Blume chapter books, and others(Amelia Bedilia)when you are ready for that. Lucas, I have a Hop on Pop book here,can you read that to me?

Tuesday Menu...Turkey breast, mashed potatoes, corn ,buns , romaine salad. Surprise dessert.

Yours truly, Diane Shelton, daycare provider

Gives you a good idea as to what their Grandparents do for them, and how very much they love them, doesn't it?

I get what they do for me - giving me a day to myself, to get things done, to recharge my batteries and "take a breather" so to speak. I appreciate it more than they will ever know. But the kids are too young to really understand what they are doing for them. Little do they know, that one day they will look back at all of this "stuff" they do at Grandma and Papa's and realize that over those years they forged some really amazing memories. Memories that will stick with them for the rest of their lives.

No comments: