Thursday, October 28, 2010

SCHOOL PICTURES

School pictures forms came home in the kids' backpacks a few weeks ago. Ahhhh... school picture day. I always put way too much thought into what "package" to purchase - do I go for it and buy the big one with 1 8x10, 2 5x7's, 4 3 1/2x5's, 8 wallets, and the class picture? [Yes, I have that memorized.] Or do I go with the simple 1 5x7, 2 3 1/2x5's, 8 wallets and class picture?

If I get package #1, and they end up having messy hair, food on their face, a goofy smile, or their eyes are closed - I am out the cash and left with a whole stack of crappy pictures. Any of the aforementioned scenarios are more than likely to occur being they will no longer be in my presence once they get on that bus. They could very well get get crap all over their face from snack time and not wash it off, or snarl up their hair after wearing their hats to school, or make some goofy face for the poor camera man [who is assigned the painstaking task of photographing hundreds of kids under the age of 10]. You get it, the opportunities for them to mess up this picture without me present are endless. But if I buy package #2, and hell freezes over when they come home with the cutest darn picture I have ever laid my eyes on, I will be kicking myself for not buying more to hand out to Grandmas, Grandpas, Uncles, Aunts, friends, and complete strangers I happen to pass on the street [kidding on that one]. Whew - that was one hell of a run on sentence.

After putting much thought into this, and asking the Mr. for his input and getting "why are you putting this much thought into the kids school pictures. If they turn out, great. If they don't, toss 'em", I decided to play it safe and go the cheaper route.

And I am glad I did.

Not sure what happened here, but Ava's picture fell a bit short in the "turning out nice" category. Here she is sporting her ever popular fake smile. And for some reason there seems to be a bright circle on the tip of her nose - it almost looks as if she had it squished up against a glass wall or something. The Mr. thinks it was a goof up on the photographers part with the lighting. Whatever the case, Ava is adamant about getting her picture retaken because of this issue with how her nose looks, and because she is not satisfied with how her hair looks. How on earth could she pass the wallet sizes out to her friends when she looked like this? [Insert dramatic gasp.]

Lucas' did not turn out all that terrible, but he has a really weird look on his face. It's almost like the photographer tried to say something to make Lucas smile that he unfortunately didn't find all that funny. Go figure. And again, the lighting thing - it looks like he has a bright light from the heavens above shining down right on top of his head.

And last but not least, my Anthony Thomas. Did the photographer not have a box of those little black combs laying around? C'mon, he is photographing preschoolers for the love of God. You can't expect a 4 year old to keep his hair looking perfect from the moment he leaves the house until the afternoon hours when he has his picture taken. Nope, no way.

I guess the moral of the story here is, you get what you get. Or as my kids would say, "You get what you get and you don't have a fit." A wise little piece of advice they were all given in preschool.

From now on, I think I am going to quit beating myself up every year over what package to buy, and just go with the cheaper of the two. It only took me 5 years to come to this conclusion, but better late than never, right?

No comments: