Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Adventures in Potty Training


I know, I already did my one post for the day but I had something happen just now that I had to write about. Just had to....I know that one day when my Anthony is older he will really want to hear this story about his potty training woes. Maybe not, but I want to write about it anyway....

We have been trying for quite some time to get Anthony used to going to the bathroom like a "big boy" on the toilet and not in his pants. We have tried regular old potty chairs, potty chairs that make music after you do your business, little seats that go on top of the toilet seat with Diego or some other character on them. You catch my drift - we have pretty much tried everything, and he just has not been all that interested in going anyplace but in his diaper.
I know, I know, he is still young, but I was successful in getting Ava and Lucas potty trained by the time they were 3. Again, I know, you can't push, every child trains at a different age....but he seems more than ready. Actually I think he is playing me (Anthony can be a little stinker like that). I say this because on occasion he will "out of the blue" say he has to go potty, walk into the bathroom, take off his diaper, go, flush and wash his hands. He knows how to do it, he just chooses when he wants to and when he does not want to. So what to do? Little stinker.

I have decided recently to just put clothes on him sans the diaper, thinking that he will feel the need to get to a toilet and go. I thought I was actually successful as it has been working for the past few days, up until just an hour ago, when he went #2 on the rug in the playroom. Here is how it played out...

I was sitting here on my computer returning some emails - Off point, but I have been spending way too much time on this computer, facebooking and blogging to my hearts content. I am thinking I may need to cut back. Back on point.... When Anthony walked up to me and said

Anthony: "Hey Mommy, I pooped on the floor in the playroom."

Mommy: "You did? Where?"

Anthony: "On the rug by the toys."

Mommy: "Why didn't you go on the toilet."

Anthony: "Because." (enlightening, right?)

Mommy: " Show me where so I can clean it up."



Anthony: "Right there Mommy. See, it is just a little bit."

Ugh. The only positive point about this whole story is that he was right, it was just a little bit and more importantly, it was very..... solid. I know, gross, but could you imagine if it would have been - not so solid?? What a mess that would have been.

So he may not end up being potty trained by the time he turns three, and that is alright. I figure sooner or later he will get tired of sitting in his own potty/poo and resort to going on the toilet instead of in the diaper. I hope.

Oh the joys of Motherhood.....

No comments: