Saturday, January 31, 2009

Controlled Chaos

Ever taken 15 five year olds bowling for the afternoon?

Me being the best mom ever, (I like to sing my own praise) took all of Ava's friends from school to Stillwater Bowl today for her birthday party. Now I was not thinking that this was going to be an easy task by any means, but I thought it would not be THAT bad.

It pretty much entailed 2 hours of screaming, running up and down the bowling alley, and occasionally throwing a ball down the lane to hit a few pins over. When the bowling part ended, I thought things would calm down a bit as Ava opened her presents. WRONG. All the kids crowded around her and opened her presents for her. It seemed like at one point three different girls were opening three different presents. Wrapping paper, tissue paper, cards and presents were being thrown in every direction, and no one was listening when I asked for people to sit and calm down. No kidding.

I finally just sat back and watched in amazement, wondering to myself how I could not control this group of 5 year olds. Come on, I have four of my own, you would think I would be experienced in controlling chaotic situations. Not the case here.

We are home now, decompressing, and all I can think to say as I look back at the crazy afternoon is....

HOLY CRAP.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Catching up on your blog posts, Maria. Love them all! you have such a great way of expressing yourself. Love the one about the cake:) I must remember this bowling one too!!!
Kari