Monday, January 19, 2009

Our Family Vacation


I have finally resigned myself to the fact that I do live in the frozen tundra - otherwise know as Minnesota - and that I will have to simply savor the warm climates when I am lucky enough to go on vacation. (insert loooooong sigh).


On a positive note, I can always look back at the beautiful pictures and remember how truly wonderful it was in paradise. Laying by the ocean, sipping cocktails with colorful umbrellas in them... Ahhhhh, remembering actually makes me want to hop on a flight right now back to that place called Cayman Islands, take a job as a bartender and live the simple life.

My four kids (whom I love dearly), are unfortunately are holding me up on making this dream a reality. Darn. I sure do love them though. They were just perfect on the flight down there, which surprised me as I thought we would have some "issues" - meaning strangers feeling the need to strangle my lovely Anthony on the airplane. Not the case!

Arriving at the airport was a bit hectic with 4 kids, stroller, backpacks, car seats in tow. We managed to get through customs, grab our baggage, and get out front without much trouble. Ron and Brian ran off to get our rental cars, and this is when we first noticed there was an issue. This is the mini van (at least what Caymanianas call a mini van) we were provided with to get 4 kids, 3 adults and all of our crap to our condo. Really?




Really. Best part of it is we actually managed to squish everything into it, passengers, luggage, car seats, strollers and all!


Once we got to the condo and settled in everything was great, better than great as this was our view from our front patio door.


After unpacking we did not waste any time getting our swimsuits on heading out to the pool. Where the kids pretty much stayed the whole vacation.... As you can see, Livi was very excited to be at the pool relaxing in the hot sun.


Here she is in her other swim suit, the bikini. A woman always has to have two swimsuits - the one piece and the two piece. My little fashionista.




The rest of the kiddos took turns swimming in the pool with Daddy. Which was much to my enjoyment as that meant more relaxing in the sun for mommy which makes me happy. Like they say, "if momma ain't, happy, no ones happy", right?


I got a much needed day out with the girls - Cindy, and Diane on Monday. We walked up the beach,cocktails in hand and found a nice place to lay out, enjoy the sun and have lunch. This was the day Auntie Cindy was a bit "overserved". :) I was jealous to not be right there with her, but I unfortunately had to watch my alcohol intake as I am still nursing Olivia part time. Darn it. I do have to say she was quite fun company that day!



While we were gone Daddy and Grandpa took the kids to the turtle farm which I heard they just loved. They saw AND got to hold all kinds of turtles. Lucas very much enjoyed holding this one.


Yikes those are some big turtles.....



Daddy decided to stay back on Thursday to take care of Olivia, Anthony and cousin Lucia so that the rest of us could go to Sting Ray city to swim with the Sting Rays. Let's just say I was a bit hesitant about this as I am deathly afraid of the ocean and everything in it. I can barely swim right out in front of a beach without worrying a shark is going to come and bite my leg off, or worse, swallow me whole. I know, I have watched Jaws a few too many times.


Anyway, we took a catamaran ride out to Sting Ray City which was enjoyable as it had a stocked bar which I thought would help in easing my fears. Not so. We arrived and the boats captain told us all about the Sting Ray's and what to be careful for. All the while I was looking overboard at the bottom of the ocean. It was filled with HUGE black Sting Rays -EEEEW!!





I tried to keep my composure so as not to freak Ava and Lucas out, and I think I did a pretty good job. It turns out they were deathly scared of the Sting Rays as well. The three of us got back onto the boat after about 10 min. At least we tried, right?


Cindy, Grandma and Grandpa had the most fun at Sting Ray City. At least a few of us got something out of this little adventure. Notice all of the sting rays swimming behind them?? Again, EWWWW!!!




We also took the kids to the butterfly farm on our last day of our trip. They were intent on getting a butterfly to land on their arm and all were unfortunately unsuccessful. UNTIL... at the end of the tour one landed on Ava's leg. She was simply tickled pink....


On our very last night in Cayman Islands we hung out at the pool - more specifically in the hot tub drinking cocktails and relaxing. All 10 of us (Brian and Ron did not venture in), it was quite a crowded hot tub.


All in all we had a fabulous, wonderful, sunny, warm family vacation. We all got a much needed break from the worries of this terrible economy, the constant stress of work and this terrible cold MN winter. Most importantly we all got a time to reconnect and spend some much needed time together as a family, which is most important in life. Many, many thanks to Ron and Diane for making it possible for us all to go on this trip!!



No comments: