Wednesday, April 8, 2009

IT'S A CHAIN REACTION TYPE OF THING

Olivia was playing nicely on the family room carpet floor when she started whining to be held. I was busy trying to get some things done before starting dinner, so I put a few goldfish crackers on the carpet in front of her to snack on and keep her busy. This seemed to do the trick, until I heard the tell tale noise of a child chocking. I turned to find Olivia sitting on the carpet red faced, and gagging over and over again in an attempt to dislodge the goldfish cracker from her little throat.

[Side note: choking freaks me out more than anything else - and drowning. My two biggest fears ever when it comes to my kids.]

As I was running over to her in a state of sheer panic, she began projectile vomiting out a mix of goldfish and formula all over the carpet. I did not care, as this ever so messy act was successful in getting her to stop choking.

The kids on the other hand, did not like it very much.

Anthony ran up and yelled "what happened Mama" and within seconds of seeing the mess Olivia made began gagging and yelling "yucky, Mama, yucky!" I yelled for him to go in the other room before he got sick as well. He did not have a problem listening to me and began running into the living room. As I was picking Olivia up to get her cleaned up I listened to the rapid pitter patter of Anthony's feet followed by a distinct SPLAT. He did not make it and unfortunately puked on the kitchen floor en route to a location that did not smell like vomit.

While all this was going on Lucas and Ava ran from the playroom to see what was going. Once they saw the mess they both gave a long drawn out "EWWWWW!" and started backing away. I told them to go to the other room while I cleaned up. On the way out I saw Lucas gagging a bit and told them to move their buns faster. They both got out of the room successfully without puking. So now I just had two messes to clean up. Whew.

As you can see, they have weak stomachs just like their Mom. I have seemed to grow out of it a bit over the past 6 years -having the pleasure of cleaning up all the poo, diarrhea, puke and other bodily functions that children seem to produce. I am sure they will one day be lucky enough to grow out of it as well....

Until then, whenever one person pukes around the Shelton household, it seems that at least one other does the same, which sets in motion a chain reaction of large and messy proportions.

1 comment:

KB said...

My husband has that same problem! I told him if he can't cotrol it, it will be two piles of puke to clean up when he is on duty. :-) Sorry you were the one on duty- no fun!