Monday, April 27, 2009

SICK OF EVERYONE BEING SICK

I am beginning to get tired of all the crud that has been passed around this household over the past month. Lucas and Anthony had strep, Olivia had a bad head cold, then I got strep along with a bad head cold (lucky me - I get them both at the same time), then to round it all out, Lucas got strep AGAIN (yes, again).

It has been a long, bacteria, virus, boogery, nose blowing, prescription filled month.

Throughout the craziness of it all, it slipped my mind that we had a weekend getaway to Chicago on the calendar for April 23-26. Yes, Mr. Shelton and I were just on a nice warm sunny vacation in Key West just a few weeks ago, so this vacation was not really necessary. BUT, we had it on the calendar for months, and simply did not want to cancel. We already had Grandma and Grandpa on board to watch the kids, and plans to spend some time with a friend who lives there, so we had to go. Right? Plus, I had been dealing with sick kids for much too long and needed this getaway. (Alright, maybe I did not need it, but I wanted it.)

So, we dropped the kids off at Grandma and Papa's bright and early Thursday morning, (all healthy and in good spirits) and began our road trip to Chicago.
The vacation was nothing short of fabulous - a weekend filled with alone time with Mr. Shelton, shopping, cocktailing and an evening out with friends. Perfection.

We arrived home yesterday evening to 4 very excited kids, and one that was doning some strange red bumps on her back. The "one" I would be referring to is Olivia. Hmmmm.... At first I shrugged them off as bug bites, thinking maybe they were outside playing in the grass or something. I say at first, as when she woke up this morning I found that the bumps [or polka dots as Lucas calls them] had mulitiplied and spread all over her body.



This is when I began one of my conversations. Out loud and to myself (I tend to do this a lot).

"My gosh - she has chicken pox! How could she get chicken pox? I thought she was vaccinated for those already."

Pausing to think....

"Oh - she has not been vacinated for chicken pox yet, I think they do that when she is 12 months - DARN IT! Why wouldn't they vaccinate her? Maybe it is not safe to vaccinate babies? Maybe they assume babies are still carrying Mom's antibodies so it is rare for babies to get it?"

Stopping to undress her and scan her body for little red bumps.

"Ewww - they are on her poor little scalp, face, neck, tummy, back and legs. And they look like blisters! Is that what chicken pox looks like? I don't remember. Maybe it is not chicken pox."

I make my way to my trusty computer where I google chicken pox. It brought me to a question and answer type forum on BabyCenter, where Mom's type questions, and a Dr. from the site answers them. Here is what I found.

My baby has a spotty red rash all over her chest. Could it be chicken pox?

It could be. Because most babies get antibodies against the virus from their mother while in the womb, it's unusual for a baby to come down with chicken pox during the first year. Those who do tend to have a mild case.Chicken pox, also called varicella, typically causes an itchy rash that starts out as small red bumps. These bumps quickly change into clear, fluid-filled blisters on a pink base, which eventually become dry brown crusts. New waves of blisters often spring up as the illness progresses.The rash often appears first on the scalp, face, or trunk. It can then spread over the entire body. Children usually get between 250 and 500 blisters, although it's possible to have just a few.Your baby will probably be tired and slightly feverish. She may have a loss of appetite and, for a couple of days before the rash appears, a mild cough or a runny nose. Chicken pox usually lasts five to ten days.

Small red bumps, check. Some turning into fluid filled blister, check. On the scalp, face and trunk, check. Mild cough and a runny nose, check. DANG-IT. She does have chicken pox.

My poor baby.

This family is officially a mess in the health department this month. Strep throat, head colds, strep throat again, and NOW chicken pox? Will this ever end?


No comments: