Thursday, September 3, 2009

CHOOSING MY BATTLES

As always, Anthony kept himself busy this morning in the bathroom while I was taking my shower. He rummaged through the cabinets, and drawers, putting deoderant on his arms, rubbing lotion all over his legs, brushing his hair, you know, making a mess of things. He also took out the scale, stepped on up, and patiently waited for it to display his weight. When the numbers appeared, he yelled, as always,

"Momma, how many am I today?"

"You are 33 and a half today."

"No Mom, that is not right, I am only free (3) !!

"No honey, that tells you how much you weigh, not how old you are."

"Oh....."

A few minutes pass in silence as I finish drying my hair and cleaning up the bathroom.

"Hey Mom, I was two for a really, really long time."

"Yes, you were two for a whole year, and now you are three and you will be three for a whole year too."

"I really liked two Momma."

"Why Anthony?"

"Cause two was just so much fun."

"Yes, I bet it was."

The conversation ended there, as he went back to the business at hand, grabbed my make up remover pads and started rubbing one all over his face. Half way through his pretend make up removal , he began singing a song, one that I had not heard in a very long time:

"I like big butts and I cannot lie, and a girl walks in tonight...."

Yep, even though he has the words completely wrong, I am sure you know the song -unless you happened to be hiding under a rock during the late 80's. So my 3 year old is running around singing this, of all songs. Lovely, right? And let me just say, the (incorrect) memorization of these lyrics was not my doing, as I am surely not driving around in the car with the kids rocking out to Sir Mix A lot.

"Anthony, where did you learn that song."

"I don't know, I just learned it."

"Honey, someone must have played it for you or sang it to you."

Getting mad: "NO. I just learned it all by myself."

I decided to leave it alone.

What can I say? I wisely choose my battles with the kids, as some things just aren't worth getting all worked up about. So he makes a mess of my bathroom on a regular basis in his quest to get ready for the day, and is currently running around singing "I Like Big Butts." It could be worse, right?

No comments: