Friday, October 2, 2009

HOME IMPROVEMENTS

There is a propensity around the Shelton house to start projects and never get around to finishing them. This drives me mad, while it does not seem to bother the Mr. in the least. I suspect that is because I am the one that is in the house every day staring at whatever project has been left unfinished for months on end; while he is off at work 10 hours a day, busy and not giving that started project a second thought. If I had any know how with most of this stuff, you would most definitely find me strapping on a tool belt and grabbing that hammer, wrench, drill, or whatever tools were needed to finish that project. But unfortunately I don't.


How do I know I lack skills in the home improvement department? Well, I know from experience.


There have been many a unfinished project around this house, and in the earlier days, I would get so frustrated I would attempt to finish them myself. And this always ended badly. If it was a room that needed to be finished painting, I would grab that paint brush and get to it. Only to have globs of paint running down the wall, or have hit the ceiling and gotten some lovely brush strokes of green up there - once I even stepped in the paint bucket. Yep, I did. If it was a picture that needed to be hung up on the wall, I would grab that nail and hammer and end up making a larger than life hole in the wall because of the fact I did not look for that stud in the wall. Over the years I have managed to get a bit better with things such as these, but still I am no Tim the Toolman Taylor. Really, I should just stay away from home improvement projects, as they are just not my forte.


So 2 years ago, when I asked, begged, pleaded for the Mr. to take up the linoleum floor that went through the main floor bathroom, mudroom and laundry room, I was a bit aprehensive. I did not want this to become yet another unfinished project. He agreed to take up the old floor, and have our neighbor lay our new tile that would compliment our lovely new washer and dryer. I was elated. He had a grand old time destroying the floor, and riping it all up with our neighbor friend. Then late on the night of the demoilition party, the Mr. had a grand idea. He thought it would be a good idea to take out the closet in the mudroom as well, so we could put built in lockers for the kids.


Fabulous idea? Yes. Did I think this was going to get done on top of the new tile being installed? No.


Some questions were asked. Who is going to build the lockers? My Dad. Have you asked him? No, but he will. Will he have time? I am sure he can do it as long as you don't want it in a month. So How long will I have to live without a closet to store all the kids coats, shoes, backpacks? Not sure, but it should not be too long. Conversation ended there, and demolition of the closet began. He was all smiles with sledge hammer in hand, slamming it into the walls, breaking things. Such fun for men. I admitted defeat, said a little prayer in the hopes of this project actually being completed in a timely manner, and walked away.

Fast forward 2 years, to present day: The project was finally completed yesterday. Yes, 2 years later folks.


The pictures really don't do it justice - there just wasn't a good angle to get a shot at in the hallway. But it really is something else.





I am elated, thrilled, wanting to cry tears of joy, happy beyond comprehension. I am also going to say there will officially be no more home improvement projects started in this house without a contract written by yours truly, stating what exactly will be done, when work will begin and when it will end. The Mr. will have to agree to the terms, and sign the contract, knowing full well that I will hold him to it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is exactly what I have been wanting for a couple of years. Congratulations on your dream come true! And a project completed!

Pajama Mama said...

WOW! How amazing!! Job well done! I would LOVE to have something like that....lucky girl you are!

Even if it did take 2 years. :)