Tuesday, October 13, 2009

THE TOOTHFAIRY MADE AN "OOPS"


Miss Ava lost her 6th tooth on Friday night. She was so very excited about this, mostly because of the fact that she was able to put her tooth under her pillow and wake up with some cold hard cash in the morning; but also because this meant she was closer to getting braces.

Yes, my 6 year old is excited at the prospect of being able to have braces. Not sure why, but she is. And she knows that they begin treatment after she has lost her 4 upper front teeth and her four lower front teeth. Seeing that she has lost 6 of them already, she is only 2 away from her dream coming to fruition.

With the excitement of being able to get some cash, and some braces she raced off to her bedroom to place her much adored tooth underneath her pillow for the Toothfairy to find.

Later that night I was racing around getting the kids ready for bed, as always this is a crazy time of the day. The Mr. is most always working at this time, so I am left to get everyone's jammies on, brush teeth, read stories, say prayers, and tuck them all in. After all this is done, the first thing on my mind is the couch, second, the remote, and third, a glass of wine.

And that night was no exception.

I got the kids to bed, poured my glass of wine, found my show on Tivo I wanted to watch, and planted my butt on the couch. After a couple hours of relaxation, I made my way upstairs, put my jammies, on, brushed my teeth, and tucked myself into bed. Nighty night.

The next morning I woke up to my usual routine, raced downstairs to get breakfast on, and outfits ready for the day. Lucas came down the stairs and as I busied myself with getting him dressed Ava came running down the stairs yelling "Mom! Mom! The Toothfairy forgot about me! The Toothfairy did not come, she did not take my tooth, I don't have any money!"

Under my breath: "Shit." [Listen, I don't swear much, but in this case this was the first word that came to mind.]

I just started talking, making things up as I went as I really did not know what to say. How could the stupid Toothfairy [AKA Mom] forget?? So here is what I told her:

"Oh, honey. I totally forgot. the Toothfairy does not work on Friday nights. She takes that night off because she has to get home for a while."

"Why?"

"Well.... Because she has to drop off all of the teeth that she has gotten throughout the week. She just can't carry them around anymore as they get too heavy."

"Well when will she come?"

"She will be back to work tonight after she gets home and drops the teeth off. I promise."

"Where does she keep all those teeth in her house? Can she fit them all in there? That would sure be lots and lots of teeth."

Good Lord, look what I have started.

"Oh, she has a really big house and lots of room to store all the teeth. Plus all the little boys and girls teeth are so small so they don't take up a lot of room."

"Where does she live?"

"She lives in Toothfairy land."

I know, I know, bad answer. But heck, I don't know where the Toothfairy lives - this is the only thing I could come up with.

Thankfully she seemed to be satisfied with my answers, and dropped the subject. She ran back up to her room to once again, place her tooth under her pillow in the hopes that the Toothfairy would actually remember - ah, I mean be back from dropping off her tooth supply at home, and come to take her tooth.

Turns out she did remember. And to apologize for her not being able to make it on Friday, the Toothfairy decided it was only fair to leave her a little extra this time around - $3.00 to be exact.
Turns out Ava was quite happy with her $3.00,

and was quick to forgive the Toothfairy for not being able to make it on the actual day that she lost her tooth.

Once again, all was well in the world.



1 comment:

Pajama Mama said...

LOL!! I don't know any parent that hasen't forgotten that they are the tooth fairy on occasion and then scrambles to come up with a reason why the tooth fairy didn't show up....and then magically the next night, poof, she's back on schedule!!!

Ava is beautiful!!!