Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TO SNIP OR NOT TO SNIP

The Mr. has been not feeling so swell for the past week and a half. He has been sleeping 8-9 hours each night and still waking up feeling tired and run down, complaining that his head feel "full" and he is just plain old feels like crap. There were even a few days over this week and half that he arrived home early from work and climbed into bed - and there was even a day where he just stayed in bed and did not even attempt to go to work. This is all very strange as he usually pushes through head colds, flu type symptoms and other things as heaven forbid he were to miss a day of work.

Anyway, yesterday he sent me a text (aren't we hip, texting and all), saying he was coming hoome for lunch. As we sat together with the kids eating some delicious hamburgers I made for everyone, he said "Can you make me an appointment?"

"An appointment? You mean a Dr's appointment?" The reason I had to ask is he never ever goes to the Dr. He hates going as every time he gets sick enough to make his way there, he waits for hours to actually see the Dr, only to find out that, yes, he is sick, and he will just have to push through it. No antibiotics, nothing to make him feel better.

Why does all this make him so angry you ask?

Well, in his words, "because all I have to show for the stupid visit to the Dr. is a wasted afternoon spent in the waiting room, and a $150 Dr. bill all for 10 minutes spent with a Physician only to have him tell me I am sick and there is nothing they can do about it. I know I am sick, I did not need to pay someone $150 to tell me that."

Anyway, back to the question: He wanted me to make him a Dr's appointment?

Answer: "Yes please."

So I made one for him, and out the door he went to see this Dr. in the hopes that he would get some sort of relief from the constant pressure he was feeling in his head. Relief being some sort of antibiotic.

I received a phone call from this husband of mine about an hour later, cheerfully asking me if there was anything I need at Wal Mart. I did not even had to ask, he had gotten a prescription, and he was happy at last.

He strolled into the house a while later with a smile on his face and this in his hand


First of all, I have to say that this is the cheesiest brouchure I think I have ever seen. A husband and wife holding hands, lovingly looking into one anothers eyes, walking down the beach with a children's amusement park in the background. Really?

So beyond the ridiculousness of the brouchure, I have to say that I was very surprised. The Mr. has always been a bit hesitant, alright, very hesitant to even think about a Vasectomy, and now he is coming home with all the brouchures and forms to go ahead with it and "git 'er done?"

I asked what in God's name brought this up in conversation while at the Dr. getting his sinuses checked? He simply said he decided to ask him about it, and that he actually got his intital consultation over with, so that when he wanted to go ahead with it all he had to do was call and make the appointment. Then came the question: "So when do you want me to take care of this?"

I said nothing. I had to think for a moment, or more like a few months. This is a big decision. Yes, I know we have four beautiful kids, two boys two girls, a perfect little family. (This is what everyone says to us, and I do agree.) But I still have such a problem with doing anything permanent in this department. Even though I am 99% sure I do not want anymore children, I still do not like the fact that this little procedure would make it so that I would be never be able to ever have children again. Well, at least not with my husband. (Kidding, kidding.)

Today at lunch, he asked again, "So when do you think I can go ahead and get snipped?"

My answer? "I don't know."

And really, I don't know if I will ever know. Which should make him very happy, even happier than he felt right after getting that prescription in hand earlier yesterday. As at least for now, I am sparing him the pain and recovery of what has to be done in order to make it so that we are never, ever able to have children again.


2 comments:

KB said...

Oh sister, you have to take him up on this while he is in agreement! That is so fabulous!!! Although, I do get your hesitation. At least it is reversible if minds change...

Laura said...

Um, was there a follow up to this post? Apparently not enough...lol.