Tuesday, May 19, 2009

DAZED AND CONFUSED

The past few days have seemed like a whirlwind around here. I am totally, utterly, unbelievably exhausted, a bit dazed and confused if you will.

What has been goin' on round here that makes me feel all of these wonderful feelings all at once? Well, let me tell you.

Sunday morning we arrived home from Camping. Unpacked camper, did 3 loads of laundry, bathed 4 pig pen kids, cleaned downstairs bathroom, swept floors, and vacuumed carpets all in preparation for Lucas's 5th birthday party that afternoon.

Yep, you heard me right. We arrived home Sunday morning from camping only to have to prepare to have 12 adults and 9 kids over for a birthday celebration. This would have been all fine and good if I would have prepared ahead of time and had things set to go when we arrived home. But of course, that was not the case. [Silly me].

After putting things away, and cleaning in order to make the house presentable for the party, we sat down to tackle what to make for dinner.

Yes, I was that unprepared.

I had not a single idea as to what to feed all of these lovely family members that were coming over in just a few short hours expecting to get their bellies filled with something. Pork tenderloin? No, takes to long to cook, not enough time. Fajitas? No, too much work. Order pizza? No, did that for the last birthday party. Jimmy John's? Hmmm. Jimmy Johns. Yep, that would work.

Mr. Shelton ran to the store, picked up a vat of potato salad, couple bags of chips, and placed an order at Jimmy John's for a party tray. Whew. Done.

Darn it. A cake. I did not order a cake.

Mr. Shelton saved the day by making his way to Wal Mart, finding a ready made cake in their bakery department and having them write "Happy Birthday Lucas" on it. Voila.

He managed to get home just in time for us both to get showered and ready for guests to arrive. And arrive they did - 15 minutes early.

The party went swimmingly, Lucas had a rousing time playing with his cousins, opening presents (one of which was a coveted storm trooper helmet),

And singing happy birthday and blowing out his candles.

I was happy to find that everyone was very satisified with our choice of Jimmy John's for dinner, and went home happy and with full bellies.

Brian and I put the kids to bed, and crawled into bed ourselves. Once my little old head hit the pillow, I was off to sleep, dreaming of peaceful, calm days ahead.

And dreaming was exactly what it was, as this week has been far from peaceful and calm. Oh so far from it.

Thus far, I watched my dear friends children on Monday (that would make 6 kids under the age of 6 in my home all day), mowed the 1/2 acre of lawn (curse this big yard, curse it) we have in order to stop the spread of dandelions throughout the whole darn yard, replenished the mulch in the garden out front, replenished the mulch around the trees out front, got flowers out front in my pots, cleaned out the garage, did 5 loads of laundry, went to Target, and went grocery shopping. And it is only Tuesday.

Needless to say, I am feeling a bit dazed and confused - I am also feeling glad and thankful to be a mother to 4 babes, even if they induce the occasional feelings of being totally, utterly, unbelieveably exhausted.

It's all worth it.

No comments: