Friday, May 22, 2009

ON COMMENTS

So I have been thinking lately. Thinking about comments, blog comments. Some of these blogs I read have oodles and oddles of people commenting on their posts, and others (like mine) have nary a comment to be seen.

Is it because the content of my posts is found to be rather dull? I know I blog mostly about my family and kids, but so do many of these other bloggers and they have a ton of comments. Is it because I am not the best writer? I think I am half way decent. Is it that most of the bloggers that have so many commenter's, are receiving these comments from their family and friends, and not perfect strangers that stumble upon their blog and find it so fabulous they are inclined to comment? What is it?

Really I am curious.

Or maybe I am just jealous... Nah, just curious. Really.

If for most of you it is the whole family friends thing, then I have something to say to my wonderful group of family and friends that stop by my blog on a daily, weekly, monthly - whatever basis. (And I know you do as I get emails from some of you saying so.) Please leave little old me a comment! I like comments, I like to read what my family thinks about what the kids are doing, and about what Mr. Shelton and I are doing. I simply like to know that you are out there, reading this! I write this blog not only for my kids to one day read, but also for you, my family, friends, to be able to keep up with the daily going's on in the Shelton household. And as for perfect strangers passing by my blog, reading, AND commenting? Now that just makes me all happy inside.

After that last paragraph I must, must stop and say something. I read a post a while back from a fellow blogger named Meg. She is a fabulous writer, and I frequent her blog a lot (she is one of those that gets oodles of comments - maybe I AM a bit jealous). Anyway, she wrote this post here, and I have to say.... I am NOT one of these people:



I know, I know, here I am dedicating a post to why people do not comment, but it is only because, I want to know why my ever so dear to my heart family and friends do not comment. Now, I know not a one of you actually has a blog, or knows much about blogging,(with the exception of Kari, who leaves me a comment on occasion - gotta love her), but now there are no more excuses as I can give you a little tutorial on how to make a comment.

Here goes.

At the end of this post, you will see in very small print, written by Maria at [whatever time I wrote the post], then you will see, again, in small print, comment with a little picture of pencil after it. You can click on this button called comment and a screen will pop up. under choose an identity, click on anonymous, type your comment in the box provided with your name at the end, and then click submit comment. Voila! You have successfully made a comment! Very easy, right?

So here is what I am asking of you my dear family members, friends, and heck, perfect strangers if they want. Leave me a comment and let me know that you stopped by this little bloggity blog, tell me you enjoyed your stop, did not enjoy your stop, will be coming back, will never come back, what makes you so inclined to comment on a post, whatever. Just let me know you were here.

It will make me feel good, and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

And if I happen to come home Sunday and find not a single comment, this will be the first and last time I ever bring the subject up. Afterall, I would hate to be labeled a comment whore, as really, I promise, I'm not.

So get commenting, and the next time I see you I will have to give you a big old hug. And if you don't comment, you just won't get one. Hmph.

3 comments:

KB said...

Such a funny and interesting topic... the people I created the blog for (long distance family and friends) do not frequent and comment on my blog like those who live within several miles of me or are fellow bloggers! (There are exceptions!) Thanks for commenting on my blog and keeping me entertained with yours!

Kari said...

Hey Maria,
Kari here:) I enjoy reading your blog and seeing what's new in the Shelton household. I think you're a great writer. As far as people having lots of comments, I think readership is built up over time. When I first started blogging I was told if you want people to come to your blog, read other blogs and comment, then people will follow your link and comment on yours. It's been almost 4 years for me and the trail just keeps linking. However, I'm not sure you've ever commented on my blog, now that I think of it. Hehe! Just jokin' with ya. I think it also has to do with if the people that read your blog are also bloggers. I'm sure if someone has a blog they are MUCH more likely to comment. Wish we could be at the beach house this weekend, but Joe is in Japan. Take care. I look forward to many more blog posts. Keep up the good work!!
Cheers
Kari

Maria said...

Thanks for your comments girls! :) Kari, you had a good answer and it makes sense. I assume the longer you blog, and the more you comment on others blogs, the better chance you will have of others frequenting your blog. :) Of course it was never my intention when I started this blog to have a huge following or anything, I was just curious to find out what made people comment and frequent a blog, and why my silly family who loves reading this blog never leaves a comment! But none of them have a blog themselves, so they don't know much about it. Oh well, glad to get some answers from two of my faithful "commenters!" :)