Tuesday, May 26, 2009

GIRLS NIGHT OUT

Miss Ava and I had the pleasure of having a girls night out this evening, and it was quite special. Quite special as (sad to say) these types of evenings are few and far between seeing that we have four little ones, and Mr. Shelton has a crazy busy work schedule. Needless to say, both Ava and I were very excited for this night out.

It all started once she got off the school bus at 3pm. We decided to hop in the car and go do some much needed shoe shopping. We headed to the local Famous Footwear to peruse their sandal selection, and in doing so, I realized that I once again (I do this every summer) started my sandal shoe shopping WAY too late. Their selection was very small, and very picked through. Darn it. We managed to find a pair of cool Addidas flip flps that she fell in love with, so we did not leave empty handed.

We were still in search of a pair of leather sandals (not flip-floppy in nature as these are not allowed at school), so we headed to Kohl's. Again, we found the selection minimal and very picked through. At this point, I was looking, searching, hoping to find a pair of sandals that looked half - way decent, and that would please both myself and Ava. (This can tend to be hard at times.

Ava was beginning to sway off course, looking at High School Musical tennis shoes, wedge Sandals, (who the heck makes wedge sandals for toddlers/little kids?) grabbing random boxes and trying on shoes that were not her size, nor appropriate footwear for a 6 year old.

Frustration was setting in for both of us, and I was beginning to give up when finally, I found a pair that were cute, would match generally everything, were her size, and she liked them. Well, for the most part. I had to do a little convincing to sway her away from the those ever coveted white wedge heels, but I managed to turn her onto them.

So our sandal shopping was a success. We managed to find a pair of nice leather sandals, and a pair of flip flops.

Now it was time for dinner, which was Ava's choice, we could eat anywhere she wanted. What did she choose?

Culver's. And she wanted to eat inside.

This was a very special request as we rarely eat inside restaurants being that we have four little ones that tend to make it rather difficult. But today was just Ava and I, so I figured we could go for it.

We had a very pleasant dinner of hamburgers, french fries, soda pop (what a treat), all topped off with some ice cream.

Oh - did I mention our dinner conversation? We talked about many things. Boys, more importantly which boys were cute in her class. This was determined to be Alex. We talked about who she enjoys playing with at school, and she said only the girls in the monkey bar club. I asked what the monkey bar club was and got this answer: It is a group of girls that does the monkey bars at recess every day. I asked if she made sure to include everyone in this little group, and she assured me that everyone was welcome to be a part of it, as long as they knew how to do the monkey bars. And that Allison said who could and could not be in the club, but she always let's anyone join if they want. We talked about how dissapointed she was that she was not able to buy those wedge sandals. About why little girls can't wear "high heels", and about when she would be old enough to wear them. [Here is a picture of the sandals in question]


We talked and talked. It was so good, so fun, so needed.

All that talking made me realize I had lost track of time, and we were running late. We hustled our little buns home, curled and styled her hair, put tights, costume, and tutu on, bow in hair, and made our way to her second, and final dance recital rehersal. I sat in the audience and watched her dance her little feet off, she smiled back at me in the audience. So sweet.

Dance rehersal ended, we hustled home, changed into pajamas, got back in the car and drove to grandma and papa's to pick up the rest of the kiddos. On our drive we talked about our day, and how much fun we had, and how we wanted to do another Momma and Ava day out again very soon. Soon after this little exchange I looked over to find her fast asleep.

It was a good day.

No comments: