Monday, May 4, 2009

VEGGIES, FRUITS, WHOLE GRAINS, OH MY!


I tend to go back and forth, and back and forth on this whole eating healthy thing. If you don't know what I am referring to go here, and here. Oh, and here too. Then you will get the idea.

I have two different conversations that tend to go on in my head about food depending on how I am feeling at the time. The first one is my "we have to start eating healthier around here" conversation. And it goes something like this:

"I have had enough of the McDonald's drive through, frozen pizza's, mac n cheese and chicken tender eating habits in this house. I am going to start cooking healthy meals 6 nights a week, and leave one night for eating out."

This is when I hop on my trusty laptop and begin scouring allrecipes.com, and various food blogs in order to find some healthy recipe ideas. I usually find a handful, make my list, head to the grocery store and fill my cart with healthy good for you type foods. I spend a good hour or so that same evening cooking up a fabulous main dish, along with a salad, a vegetable and glasses full of milk. I feel good about this as I am making a step in the right direction with the eating habits in our house. This makes me feel good.

Actually, I should say it makes me feel good until reality sets in. Reality being this. Conversation # 2 the "I give up" conversation.

"I am so tired of fighting with the kids to get them to eat an actual good- for -you -home -cooked meal. I have tried fish, various chicken recipes (thinking - what kid does not like chicken???) I have tried salads instead of potatoes, whole wheat noodles instead of plain, whole wheat bread instead of white, water and milk instead of juice, and juice and more juice."

Unfortunately, most of this has been to no avail, and it makes me want to just "give up."

Why, you ask? Here is why.

- I am always hearing things such as "I don't like red peppers!" "I don't like this sauce on my noodles!" "I don't like beans!" "I want juice!" Or just the standard "Ewwww - what is THAT?"

- it takes time to make said fish, chicken recipes, salads, etc. Note to all other Mom's out there if you don't already know this: trying to cook an actual meal at 4pm, with 4 kids hanging on you, is next to impossible. Even if the recipe states it only takes 30 minutes to make, it really takes about an hour. My standard rule of thumb is to look at prep time, and double it as this gives me an accurate idea as to how long it will really take for me to prepare said meal.

- Mr. Shelton works pretty much every evening until 8pm, so not having him around for dinner makes me more inclined to choose these ever so unhealthy options for my kids. Why? Because it means no preparing and cooking a nice big meal when the kids will most likely pick at it at best. A lot of work for very little consumption.

So there you have it. The "we have to start eating healthier around here" conversation, and the "I give up" conversation. As I am sure you have noticed, the " I give up" conversation I have with myself is a bit longer in nature. I am thinking this has something to do with the guilt I feel for not sticking it out longer and trying to get the kids eating habits changed. Afterall, I can't expect them to acquiesce overnight, can I?

Recently I had the "I give up" conversation with myself. I know, bummer.

But I am hopeful. Hopeful that when the "we have to start eating healthier" conversation comes into play again (which I know it will), I can will myself to hang in there a bit longer, so that the "I give up" conversation never has to come up again.

I am really hopeful.

No comments: