Sunday, June 21, 2009

MOM UNDERWEAR

A few months back, Mr. Shelton asked a very interesting question. I had just taken a shower, so (naturally) I was standing in the bathroom in all my glory with nothing but my bra and underwear on, drying my hair.... When he asked in a very casual way, "Hon, what is with the Mom underwear lately?"

I did not say anything. At first. I needed a moment to have a little conversation with myself, and that conversation when something like this:


What the heck. Mom underwear?? I don't wear Mom underwear. I wear nice, comfy, bikini underwear that are cotton in nature. [See below - and no, this is not me posing in my underwear. I know, I know, you thought it was.]









So what if I don't wear those sexy slinky, silky, underwear that are thong in nature. (who wants something stuck in their butt all day? Not comfortable.) So what if I don't wear the ever popular boys shorts ( I think they are rather unflattering on any type of body that is not stick thin in the thigh area, plus they bunch up when you attempt to put jeans on). So what if I don't wear the super high cut string type bikini underwear that are silky and see through in nature. (These are similar to a thong, although the key difference is that they are not meant to be stuck in between your buttcheeks. But the fabric is such that it is slippery, and most every time they end up giving me a constant wedgy. Again, who would want to be that uncomfortable all day long? Not me.)


So, after this little conversation between me, myself, and I, I decided to answer his question.

"Because they are comfortable. Because they don't go up my butt every second of the day. Because I did not think you needed me to be wearing 'sexy' underwear every day of the week. And again, because they are comfortable."


His response?


"I just wish you would sometimes wear the underwear you wore prior to having the kids."


Which underwear is he talking about? The ones that I mentioned above in my conversation with myself. Yep, I admit it. I used to wear them. Back in my pre-child days. How else would I know about the constant wedgies, the attempts at pushing down the boy shorts in order for them to lay flat after putting on pants, the itchy fabrics? And simply put, how very uncomfortable and impractical these types of underwear were?


An example of such underwear. (And no need to blush anyone, again, this is not me. Although I wish it were...)




Anyway, the fact that he asked so nicely, and was not expecting me to wear these types of underwear every day of the week, I decided to give in to his request. I decided to bring sexy back to this mom of four, and purchase some new underwear.

I do have to say that I managed to find some great stuff over at Gap Body. I was happy to get a day out to go shopping, and Mr. Shelton was happy to see me in some underwear other than my standard cotton bikini Hanes.

I wear these special underwear on occasion, and they are nice.... But I have to admit, I still find myself reaching for those comfy cotton bikini's every time I get out of the shower. I resist that urge some days for Mr. Shelton's sake and go for the sexy new ones.

So I suppose your are wondering where this post came from. Why, after having this happen months ago am I bringing it up now? Well, because Mr. Shelton is out of town all week delivering a boat to Florida, and I am reveling in the fact that I can wear my nice, comfy, cotton bikini's every day this week without the Mr. home to frown upon my choice. Because really, went it comes down to it, in the case of undergarments of any kind, I choose comfort over fashion any day.


2 comments:

PKH said...

does he still wear his pre-kids underwear? just asking ... :) hee hee.

Anonymous said...

yuck.....hate thongs and stuff like that I wear the cotton briefs or hi cuts/ bikini I am a guy that wears knickers 24/7 I just find them more comfy