Monday, June 22, 2009

THE STORY BEHIND THE POOL

After asking, and begging, and pleading, and begging some more (for the past two years), Mr. Shelton finally caved and agreed to purchase a pool for the kids. And what a surprise that was.

How did this come about, you ask?

On Saturday, when I got around to asking him (for probably the millionth time) "Don't you think it would be nice to get a pool for the kids? Something bigger than the usual pool we pick up at Targer each summer? The kiddie pool is just not cutting it anymore with Ava being six and Lucas being 5. We could get one of those nice Intex pools our neighbors to the right have, their kids love it, and more importantly our kids love swimming in it too. They would love to have our own in our backyard."

His answer?

"I'll think about it." Which was an oh-my-gosh-someone-pinch-me-I-must-be-dreaming answer.

Later that day Ava asked, "Daddy, can we pleeeeaaaase get a pool?"

His answer?

"Sure, alright."

Holy smokes. He agreed. He finally agreed to a pool. This may not seem to be that big a deal to most people, but for the kids and I it was huge. We have spent two years trying to get him on board for this purchase, we have used every angle possible to get a "yes" out of him. All to no avail, the answer was always the same:

"I hardly have enough time with my work schedule now to get home before 8pm each night. Taking care of a pool like that is a pain, having to check the PH levels, get all the chemicals in it when needed, clean it, etc, etc." I just don't have the time."

What changed his answer to a simple "Sure, alright", is beyond me. All I know is I did not question it. Not even for a second.

To be continued.....


No comments: