Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our Food Battle


I am trying to get myself to be better about the eating habits in the Shelton household. Meaning I am trying to get my kids to lessen their consumption of frozen pizza, chicken tenders and macaroni and cheese. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem feeding my kids this sort of stuff on occasion as it is easy, they actually eat it, and it pleases them - but we have been eating it WAY too much for WAY too long, and these are just not the types of meals you should be eating on a daily basis. Yuck. Too much of anything is not good, right?

So I have found my way to a few food blogs, trying to find some inspiration, some recipes - new things to eat that both the kids and Mr. Shelton and I would enjoy eating. But all of these food blogs (at least that I have come across) are littered with fancy shmancy type recipes that I simply do not have the time to prepare. I seriously wonder where these Moms have the time to cook such meals, AND blog about them, pretty pictures attached and all. Wow - can we say super Moms?

Anyway - I am wondering where you can find some food blogs that contain somewhat healthy recipes with the words crockpot or casserole in them. This is a key point as I like EASY.
I really need to get on this as I believe if I don't there will be no turning back from the chicken tenders, frozen pizzas and mac n' cheese slump we have been in. My kids are slowly becoming addicts. Seriously.

A story to confirm this addiction?

We were in the car on the way home from a play date the other day when I asked the kids what they wanted for lunch.

Anthony: "Pizza"

Lucas: "Happy meal"

Anthony: "Oh yes, Mommy - chicky (chicken tenders), fry (fries) and chocolate milk!" (Meaning happy meal)

Ava: "No! I want Subway!" (at least this is a better choice than the happy meals and frozen pizza, right?)

Mom: "How about we do something healthier and get Subway?"

Anthony and Lucas: "No Mom, we want happy meals!"

Mom: "I am sick of always eating junk, we are going to stop this."

Anthony: "No Mom, I like junk. I ONLY like eating junk - happy meals and pizza."

Yep, my three year old said that.... I think I have my work cut out for me.

No comments: