Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rough day

This is how I found Anthony this evening at the ripe old time of 6:45pm.


Why was he fast asleep in the family room chair so early you ask?

Well, Anthony had a long, bad day today. To give you an idea of how long and how bad it was, I could tell that he was in need of a nap just a few short hours after he woke up this morning......... I was packing the crew up into the car and he decided he did not want to go. He was too busy playing his beloved Star Wars playstation game, and clearly did NOT want to be interrupted.

Mom: "Anthony, it is time to go now."

Anthony: "No Momma, I am not going, I am playing Staw waws." (Star Wars)

Mom: "You need to turn it off, it is time to go."

Anthony: "NO! I need to finish this lebel!" (Level)

I proceeded to pick him up and put him in the car - he was of course kicking and screaming the whole time.

[SHOULD HAVE HAD A TIME OUT]

He calmed down by the time we got to Amy's, and played nice. For a while. I was talking to the other mom's when he decided he wanted me to read him a book.

Anthony: "MOMMY, READ ME A BOOK!"

Yep, straight to yelling, no asking nicely for him today.

Mom: "Anthony, Mom is talking right now, you read the book."

Anthony: "No! I don't want to read the book! I am mad at you Momma."

[SHOULD HAVE HAD A TIME OUT]

He managed to calm down quickly and played nicely. Again, for a while.

Then he decided he wanted Livi to go upstairs with him. I overheard him halfway up the stairs saying "Come on Livi Grace, come up the stairs." I told him Livi was too little to go up the stairs, and he clearly did not like this response.

Anthony: "I WANT LIVI TO COME UPSTAIRS WITH MEEEEEE!!!!"

Mom: [now I am starting to get pissed] "Anthony Thomas, I told you Olivia can't go up the stairs to play because she can fall."

Anthony: "AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" [when he gets really mad he likes to scream]

[SHOULD HAVE HAD A TIME OUT]

Again, he calmed down pretty quickly and went on his way playing nicely in the playroom.

Until it was time to go. I told all the kids to get in the car as I strapped Livi into her car seat. Ava and Lucas listened well and got right in. But not Anthony. Surprised?

Anthony: "No Momma, I am not going."

Mom: "Yes you are Anthony Thomas, get in the car."

Anthony: NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Total meltdown. Again.

I managed to get him into his car seat and buckled, which was difficult in between all the kicking and screaming.

Anthony: "Momma, I am NEVER playing Staw Waws with you again!"

This seems to be his latest thing. Whenever I put him in a time out, or make him do something he does not want to do, he decides to threaten me by telling me I will no longer be able to play Star Wars with him on the playstation.

Funny, as he does not understand that it makes me happy to think that I would never have to play that darn playstation again. Curse it, and Mr. Shelton for ever taking the darn thing out of storage.

So do you see a pattern here in relation to how our day went? If not, I will help you out. Anthony throws a tantrum, Mom does not discipline him correctly by putting him in a time out. Anthony throws another tantrum, Mom, again does not discipline him correctly by putting him in a time out. And so on, and so on..... I guess it was not just Anthony who was having an "off" day, yours truly was also.

[sigh] This was our day. It was not a very good one, but here's to hoping he gets a good nights sleep and that tomorrow is better. Less tantrums - actually I am going to be so brave as to say no tantrums, and if he does happen to have one. or two. or three.... I need to follow through with a time out. [which I usually do, really, but today I was not good about it at all.]

He really is a good little boy, and does not act like this all the time .....we all have our bad days, right?

No comments: