Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Why So Mean?


I am fairly new to this whole blogging thing, and to be honest, I did not really know what it was all about. Meaning, why people start blogs in the first place - I guess I thought these were started by most as a way to journal about their lives, kids, families, daily adventures, etc. A place for their kids, Moms, Dads, even perfect strangers - whomever - to go to keep up with their lives. This is for the most part, is what I am finding.

I say for the most part, because I have had the pleasure of stumbling upon some - shall we say... interesting blogs out there. These blogs seem to be the opposite of what I explained above, and are all about putting people down. More specifically putting people down who do things that they deem to be stupid, cheesy, ridiculous, etc. This drives me wild, nuts, crazy - all that stuff. Not to mention it is just plain old mean.

I understand having things that bother you, things that other people do/say that drive you nuts, you know "pet peeves". If we did not all have a few of these "things" tucked in our back pocket, I don't think we would be human. I have some of these pet peeves myself, and have, on occasion, vented my frustrations about said pet peeves on my little old bloggity blog, here is an example.
But to have so many, and to feel the need to dedicate an entire post each day to one of these pet peeves seems a bit over the top. A bit school yard bullyish. Not to mention, it is pretty pathetic that you can't come up with anything else to write about other than what you loathe about other people.

A few examples?

Why do "people" care so much about other people putting a vinyl stick figure sticker on the back of their car that shows all the little members of their family? It is not your car, your kids, or your family.

Why do "people" care about people using (again the whole vinyl thing) vinyl lettering on their walls at home stating such things as All because two people fell in love. Faith, Family, Friends. Always kiss me goodnight.... So what if they enjoy such inspirational sayings, and choose to put them on the walls of their own home. You don't have to look at them, right?

Why do "people" care so much if people want to put a sticker on their blog stating "I love comments." "Comment Please." or any other phrase that states you would enjoy it if people commented on your blog. I don't think it is always about people needing validation, or that they have no self -esteem. Maybe, just maybe people simply enjoy seeing what others - grandma, sister, brother, whomever, have to say about their posts. Maybe all bloggers out there are not blogging in the hopes that complete strangers will pass by their blog, fall in love with it and leave comments all the time. Maybe they are blogging for themselves, their kids, their families, and want these people to comment, and are not laying around pining for complete strangers to tell them what they think of their posts. Maybe?

Why do people care about what words people choose to use in order to describe their family? Such as amazing, beautiful, perfect, etc. It is only natural for a wife to find her husband amazing, her kids perfect, her family beautiful. Would you rather hear my husband is a loser, my kids are always messing up, and my family is ugly?

[To get the full feel of said examples you would really have to read these posts in their entirety, but I won't go there.]

You "Meanie" bloggers may say, "what is with all this 'why do people care' crap she is writing about - I really don't care." And I would have to say, yes, you really do care. Too much. If you did not care you would not feel the need to devote an entire post on your blog pretty much every day to something that people do/don't do/say, that drives you mad. And it is not just the fact that you are writing about how much said things drive you mad, it is the manner in which you express yourself. There is a way to go about it in which you are respectful, but you seem to not care to take that approach. Your approach is downright mean spirited. As I mentioned earlier it is reminiscent of a school yard bully.

You may also say, if you can't take the heat, then get outa my blog. And you are right. But I won't because I can't seem to stay away. ( I know, as much as all of this putting down of others drives me mad, I do love reading these blogs.)


To sum it all up - Just cause something is not right for me does not mean it is not right for someone else. Just because I don't like something does not mean no one else should like it, or that I should put others down for liking it. I guess I just believe in the whole "Different strokes for different folks" thing. Cuz' differences are what make the world go round.


Oops - one of those annoying inspirational sayings. Drat.


----------------------------------------------------------------------


It is only fair that I mention that the above examples were just a few of many, many, many. Also, I need to admit that all of these examples hit a bit close to home for me - I have a "family sticker" on the back window of my car. I have, (although not vinyl) various framed art pieces with inspirational sayings around my house. Heck, the name of my blog is All Because two people fell in love! I guess I am a bit sensitive - even to complete strangers knocking my personal taste for the above things. I guess I need to learn how to care less (a lot less) about what other people think. [sigh]


Should I feel bad for this post? Wonder if the authors of said examples will happen to come by my blog, read what I said and not be happy?


Nah.


I am pretty confident that these "meanies" do not read my blog on a daily basis, if at all for that matter - and if they happened to come upon it they would more than likely be bored to tears and feel the need to vomit by my posts about my "beautiful" kids, "amazing" husband, and simply "perfect" existence. (alright, now I am being a smart ass.)

No comments: