Friday, March 20, 2009

Recipe For Disaster


Mr. Shelton called me as I was on the way home from an already long morning out and about with the kids. He asked if I would be so kind as to stop at Kohl's and find 4 king size pillows for him. Why, you ask? He is having a bachelor party for his good friend at our Beachhouse this evening and is in need of someplace for all these soon to be intoxicated young men to rest their heads when they decide to pass out for the evening. Apparently there are not enough pillows already, hmmm.... But I decided to not ask any questions and agree to pick up the pillows.

But not without thinking about it long and hard.....
The kids had just burned off oodles of energy at the play park and were tired. On top of that I had just dragged them all out of the car and into Gap Body in search of a cute little nighty for my girlfriend's bachlorette party tomorrow night. (The "other half" of the young gentleman whom my husband is having the bachelor party for tonight - if you did not already guess.) Anyway, I was successful in finding the nighty, but not without a bit of chaos... Of course, what do you expect shopping with 4 kids age 6 and under. Ava and Olivia were simply pleasent throughout, maybe it is because they were so enthralled with all of the soft clothes around - just like their Mother.

The boys, on the other hand, not so great. Anthony and Lucas were running around picking up random pairs of underwear all the while oohing and aahing at them. (Just like their Dad). Lucas then announced he had to use the bathroom, so I had to put down my purchases and go in search of the nearest place for him to relieve himself, which was thankfully close by. After that we made our way to the check out counter where as I paid, Anthony and Lucas ran circles around a display full of - take a guess - underwear. And to top the shopping experience off, as we were walking out the door, Anthony turned around, looked at the three manequins dressed in various types of lingerie in the entryway, and said "Oooooh! See you girls later!" (Again, he takes after his Dad - Brian would be so proud.) Alright, that part was funny. And cute....

So it was not a total disaster, but it was certainly enough shopping for one day. But of course, against my better judgement, I went to Kohl's.

I managed to get Olivia and Anthony to sit in one of the carts, with Ava and Lucas following. We of course went over all the rules of being in a store, as we always do prior to doing any shopping. Unfortunately the rules did not get followed. Anthony hopped out of the cart minutes after we were on our way to the pillow section. I found the pillows just in time for Olivia to start screaming bloody murder, and I can't blame her as she was in desperate need of a nap. Then Lucas started crying as he was not able to squeeze his body underneath the cart in order to take a ride. (you know, like you can with the grocery store carts?) All this was going on while I was trying to manuver this large cart down a much too small aisle.

ARRRRGGGG!!!

I decided I was done with the cart. So I left it, and the kids next to a bedroom display while I ran around the corner in search of the pillowcases.

Bad idea.

When I returned I found Anthony smack dab in the middle of the bed (which had a pretty little display on it specifically stating not to get on the bed.) I told him to get down. he told me no. I told him to get down again, again he told me no. I finally got ahold of him (as he was jockying back and forth in the middle of the bed in the hopes of me not being able to catch him) and pulled him down. All out temper tantrum ensued. We made our way up to the check out counter, Ava's carrying two pillows, face buried in them as they were the size of her, Lucas as well, Anthony 10 feet behind screaming bloody murder, and Olivia in the cart screaming. Nice and embarrasing - to top it all of I was getting the "would you get your kids under control" looks from people.

We managed to pay for our goods, and get out of the store. [sigh]

Oh, but the story does not end there folks... We were all standing out in front of Kohl's when I realized I could not find my keys. Yep, let's top it all of. So I searched in my purse while Anthony ran into the parking lot. I yelled for him to get out of the street. He yelled no. I was beyond frustrated by this point, put Olivia on the ground, bags and all, and dumped my purse out right there on the ground. Boy was that messy - crumbs, coins, barettes, cheerios, all kinds of things came pouring out. NO KEYS. I stood up in utter desperation, ready to cry when I felt something in my pocket. THE KEYS.

So that was my shopping day with kids in tow. Excruciating, wasen't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Maria,

I have 3 kids under 6 and I am happy to read that we share this shoppingexperience.