Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sing To The Mountains, Sing To The Seas,

Raise your voices, lift your hearts this is the day the Lord has made, let all the earth rejoice!

So for those of you who do not know, this is a fabulously beautiful song I used to hear at church all the time as a little girl. I say "used to" as I am not a frequent church goer these days - alright, I don't go at all. Which is a whole different subject, for a different day, for a different post. But I remember this song very well, and I love, love, love it. It actually sprang to mind this afternoon as I came to the realization that today marked a very special occasion. What occasion you ask?

Anthony being potty trained!!



Yes folks, I find it safe to say that my Anthony Thomas can go out in public with big boy underwear on. No more diapers. Praise the Lord. I never thought this day would come... I will explain.

Anthony has been a bit stubborn on the whole potty training front for the past 6 months. I know, I know, he is only 3, but he has seemed more than ready to be going on the toilet for quite some time now. I know this as over the past said 6 months I have found him making his way to the bathroom on numerous occasions - When I ask him what he is doing he casually says "going potty" or "going poo - poo". And he really does just that. He closes the door, takes care of business, flushes, washes hands, and returns to whatever it was he was playing with before he had to go to the bathroom. Great, right? Well not really, as he only does this when he feels like it. On the days that I am not so lucky, and he leaves a little "treat" in his diaper for me, we have a conversation that goes something like this

Mom: "Anthony, why didn't you go in the toilet?"

Anthony: "Because. I wanted to go in my diaper today."

Very matter of fact. Just like that. Little stinker...

So this is how it has been going down for the past 6 months, some days we use the toilet, some days we use the diaper, and some days we use the carpet (sorry Grandma.)

Until this week - all of a sudden he has been all about using the toilet ALL the time. Monday I did not think much of it - just thought he was feeling especially into the idea of going on the toilet, same thing for Tuesday. When Wednesday rolled around and he was still going strong I started to get excited and hopeful. Then this morning he woke up with a dry diaper - Alleluia!!! But the true test was today when we went to an indoor playpark to play with friends... He stopped what he was doing (which is huge for him when he is busy playing), walked up to me and said he had to go potty. I brought him to the bathroom, and he went. About an hour later he came to me and said he had to go # (ahem) 2. So we made our way to the bathroom and he went. AGAIN!

Now off to Target to buy some Diego, Spiderman, and Star Wars underwear. All per Anthony's request - which is just fine. He can have whatever kind and however many pair of undies his little heart desires. In this case I will spoil him rotten.

"Sing to the mountains, sing to the seas, raise your voices, lift your hearts this is the day Anthony Thomas is officially potty trained, let all the earth rejoice!!"

Again.... Alleluia! Praise the Lord!!



Can you tell how thrilled I am? Sometimes it's the little things....

1 comment:

KB said...

My bro and sis-in-law had a similar problem. Their son refused to wear anything but a pull up b/c he thought his little wee wee would fall off. If was a 6 month battle and hundreds of dollars in pullups!