Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Anthony and His Cake Issues

My Anthony Thomas will be turning 3 tomorrow, and we (meaning mom) have been on a quest for the past 3 weeks trying to hunt down a place that will make me a Star Wars cake. I went to Cub Foods, Wal Mart, Sams Club, and finally Kowalskis. All places I received a "Sorry, we do not make Star Wars cakes" reply. Darn it. I was hell bent on finding a Star Wars cake, because Anthony wanted one so badly (or so I thought), and because of the fact that I could not find one made me want to find one that much more. But after my final trip to Kowalski's, I decided to admit defeat, and ask Anthony what other kind of cake he would like. He looked a bit frightened when asked this question. I asked him what was wrong, and he said, lip quivering and all:

"I don't want a cake Mommy. Last time the cake 'hurted' me."

Hmmm... I stood in the cake isle at Kowalski's a bit perplexed, trying to figure out how his cake last year had hurt him. Could not come up with anything. So I asked how it hurt him:

"The cake burned me Mommy, I 'gotted' an owey on my lip."

Ahhh... I remembered, and was frankly impressed with the fact that he did, afterall he was only two at the time and it was a whole year ago. Here is the story behind him being scared of birthday cakes.

Last year, we put his cake on the island in the center of our kitchen, pulled a chair up to it and had him stand on said chair. Family crowded around, I lit the candle, we all sang happy birthday,


when finished, I told him to blow out his candle.


This is where the story goes from good to bad. He leaned in a bit too far to blow and ended up burning his lip. (blurry picture, but you can imagine how fast he pulled his head away from said candle after "feeling the heat" - ouch!)


Nonna tried to console him with a spoonful of icecream to the affected area. Seemed to work at the time. It turns out he has not forgotten about that painful episode....





Hence the whole fear of cakes.

After rehashing this whole story in my head while standing in Kowalski's I turned to him and assured him that he would not burn himself again, that Mommy would watch real closely so that his lip did not get too close to the candle. This seemed to make him feel better about picking out a cake, as he looked down at the book, pointed to the Batman cake and said:

"I want that one Mommy."

Batman it is. Though I have to say, all that work of trying to track down a d*** Star Wars cake and he ends up choosing Batman without a second thought. Typical.

No comments: