Sunday, February 8, 2009

It's All Worth It

I was woken up at the ungodly hour of 5am this morning by my lovely daughter Ava who does not understand the meaning of sleeping in. This is not good in our household as both Brian and I are so not morning people. I have learned over the past year or so that the best plan of attack for the mornings are to get her downstairs on the couch with a bowl of honey nut cheerios (sans the milk) and cartoons on. These few things tend to get her to lay nicely on the couch until I come down for the morning, which if I am lucky,and the rest of the kids sleep, is about 6:30am.

This morning I was not so lucky. I got Ava down on her couch per usual, and as soon as I got back into my warm and cozy bed, just about ready to doze back off into dreamland, Anthony got up. I turned to look at the alarm clock and saw that it was 5:30am. Ugh. I got out of bed once again, got Anthony downstairs, and attempted to sneak back up to bed. I unfortunately did not make it. Anthony came running yelling, "no Mommy, sweep (sleep) on the couch... Please Mommy!" I begrudginly made my way to the couch and curled myself in a ball with a blanket, knowing it was pretty unlikely I was going to get back to sleep. But a girl can hope, right? A few minutes into my attempt at slumber...

Anthony: "Mommy, I want to play Staw Waws (Star Wars), pwease (please) turn it on for me?"

I got up and turned it on for him, curled back up on the couch, and tried once again to sleep. About 10 minutes passed

Anthony: " Mommy, I'm Thiwsty (thirsty), can I have some juice?"

I got up again, got him some juice, curled back up on the couch, and tried again to sleep. I was not going to give that easy. I wanted to sleep. Really bad. Another 10 minutes passed, I was hopeful.

Anthony: "Mommy, I'm hungry, I want some chewioos (cheerios)." Grrrrrrr!!! This time I got up in a state of anger, got him his cheerios, was about to give the whole sleep thing one last go, when livi started crying. She was up, and the attempt at getting back to sleep was O -V- E- R.

All this unfolded while my lovely Brian was fast asleep, this is usual, so I don't know why I get so frustrated every Saturday and Sunday morning when it happens. But what I can't understand is how he can possibly sleep through all of the commotion? Maybe he is faking sleep so he does not have to get up and deal with it all. Hmmmm... I will have to look into that one.

Anyway, I gave Mr. Shelton until 8am and then I made my way upstairs with the 4 kids to make the hand off. He was already up and ready to come downstairs. He told me to go ahead and take a nap - this was good as it was my plan all along. He and the kids left the room, while I got into my fabulous sleep number bed, pulled the 1,000 thread count sheets over me along with my down comforter, and went off to dreamland. At least for a while. I awoke to the sound of Livi crying in her crib - it was the inevitable "I am hungry cry feed me now cry". I snuck into her room, scooped her up in my arms and took her to bed with me. I nursed her and we fell back asleep together for about an hour.

I would have to say these are some of the sweetest things.

Naps.

Even better Naps with Livi Grace.



Really, is there anything sweeter?

No comments: